Malila

Malila

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A wise man once said...

"Mogo be nunuma ni ka soro k'i taama, mogo te taama ni ka soro k'a nunuma. Jin ko bee ye doni doni ye."

"People crawl before they walk, they cannot walk before they crawl. All things in the world happen slowly."

Amiina to that! Five months in Mali and the language is progressing slowly slowly, but I am understanding more and more each day. I'm not afraid to make errors when I speak so I pretty much talk freely and hope they get the just of what I was trying to say. Kind of like the way I speak English if you know me well. I can understand better than I can speak just because it takes some effort to attempt to form a grammatically correct sentence, plus I don't want to accidently say something ridiculous by mixing up vocabulary words.
This morning was very pleasant I woke up early for a jog/walk and this time I took my ipod. It was really beautiful watching the sunrise. I found the perfect rode with few travelers and it is at a slight elevation so I can see the horizon and parts of my town. I was enjoying my tunes and then Suavemente by Elvis Crespo came on and I couldn't help but dance all along the trail. I got caught offguard when a man came up from behind me on his bike, I was a little embarrassed but carried on with my dancing.


The road of my morning travels

I was going to do laundry today. but the fam was so I decided to wait till after Tabaski. Instead I went to the corn/rice machine to get some work done. Had tige dege na for lunch, took a nap next to mom, and had tea when I woke up. I promised to make no-bake cookies for the seliba tomorrow so in the wulafe (late afternoon) I went to the butigi (boutique) down the road to buy some oatmeal and chocolate powder drink mix. Then I decided to wash my bike and oil the parts, which took longer than I had anticipated.
After bathing I watched my host mom's niece cut apart a guinea fowl while I cut potatoes and then onions, garlic, and a bell pepper. "Sita be kasi". Yes Sita does cry everytime she cuts onions. I didn't understand what we were going to have for dinner. because they were also cooking plaintains and they mixed them in with the fried potatoes. It turned out well though, I asked what the dish was called and she said 'frite ni loco", fries and plaintains. Ayiwa. O.K. I can remember that; on top of the fries and plaintains was the guinea fowl cooked with the onions, garlic, and bell pepper. When I came home on Monday there was a new goat, but I guess he'll be gone by tomorrow night. My brother said he is going to kill it tomorrow and we are all going to eat! Except for her, pointing to his cousin. He teases everyone in the family a lot. So sometimes I say he is crazy. Tomorrow evening I am also going to make oatmeal a.k.a. "Ameriki moni/ceri". I made it once before in the morning, but my host mom wasn't back from town then. Well its that time again.
Ala k'an kelen kelen wuli. ~ May we get up one by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment