Malila

Malila

Saturday, March 24, 2012

I'm a refugee

I leave Mali for a vacation and then there is a coup, fortunately a bloodless one.
NY Times "...uncertain grasp on power"
NY Times "Soldiers overthrow Mali government..."
CNN article "Renegade Mali Soldiers..."
NYtimes "Soldiers declare coup in Mali"
"Yahoo "Soldiers loot Mali presidency..."
I have received several emergency messages from the U.S. Embassy as well as messages from the Peace Corps Country Director continuously updating us on the current situation as further information is released.
It is really surreal. I was just in Mali a little over a week ago and never expected this could happen. A friend left Mali a day before me; he sent an e-mail informing me that we are both currently refugees. I guess he's right, my home is in Mali right now and I am just on vacation.
Keep Mali in your prayers. I hope this situation settles down soon and hope everyone is safe.
Ala ka Mali denw ani Ameriki denw kolosi. May God take care/watch over Malians and Americans.

1 comment:

  1. You might want to think about where you will choose to finish service. You should be able to choose any country PC works in; retraining too.

    ReplyDelete