Malila

Malila

Thursday, October 07, 2010

"Well we want to tickle all the taste buds." James Allen, PCV

Today is Market Day. Once a week in any town in Mali there is a market day. A huge array of items from different areas are brought into town via large trucks and diesels with people sitting on top of the merchandise. It looks incredibly dangerous and rightfully so it is, considering not all the roads are in great shape. I love browsing, its something I even loved doing in the states so I get lost in the market. People also love calling me over to their stand to try and get me to buy something. If you take a glance at something at their stand or shop, they ask what it is your looking for; my common response "foyi, n b'a fe ka laje doron" "Nothing, I would just like to look." This week I bought a sweet Brasil soccer jersey and shorts and today I'm going to look for some sandals.
Well this week we have been tickling the taste buds. Myself and the five other volunteers in our banking town have split up each night to prepare a meal for everyone. Sunday night, taco salad; Monday night, Fried eggplant sandwiches; Tuesday night, Spanish tortilla and Bruschetta with Hobo Sangria; Wednesday night, Tomato soup with Garlic Bread and no-bake cookies for desert. My cook partner and I were in charge of Sunday and Wednesday night and both were a success. I have never heard of no-bake cookies before, and they were incredibly easy to make and were also very delicious.
No-Bake Cookie Recipe:
> 10 min prep time, Let the cookies set for at least 45 minutes
Ingredients: 1 3/4 cup of sugar, 1 packet of sucre vanille (substitute for 1 tsp of vanilla extract, not sold in Mali), 3 tbs of Choco Punch (substitute for 3 tbs of cocoa powder), 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon, 3 cups of quick cook oats, 2 tbs of nutella, and 2 tbs of peanut butter, 1/2 cup of milk, and 1/2 cup of butter
First mix the sugar, sucre vanille, choco punch, cinnamon, butter and milk together in a medium saucepan and boil for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from flame or charcoal stove and add 3 cups of quick oats, peanut butter, and nutella. Mix together well and spread mixture onto a cake pan. After about 40 minutes, cut and serve.
"They're like fudge cookies"

The market was good, I did not spend to much time shopping just because it was so hot. I bought a coconut, apples, bananas, and at the store I bought some strawberry and rasberry yogurt so I had a fruitful delicious lunch. Claire, Elyse, and I also found a store/bar across from the catholic mission that sells boxed wine! Ok it looks nothing like Franzia, but we'll see  how it tastes tonight with our meal. I also found a masking cream at the pharmacy next door so I am going to give myself a facial later this afternoon. It has also been great to be here in my banking town for an extended period. I am much more familiar with the area and have found several decent restaurants. I also have made friends with several people. Just the other day as I was walking to the market to buy some ingredients for the no bake cookies a man on a moto that I met last time I was in town offered me a ride. Of course, I declined. Peace Corps doesn't allow volunteers to ride motorcycles or ride on the back of them. Fair enough considering traffic is absolutely crazy, lanes not clearly marked, very few wear helmets, the roads are bad and so on, but some of the motos here are pretty sweet. I miss riding my motorcycle in the states. I feel I won't remember how to ride it after two years. Well class is going to start in about an hour so I'm going to watch a little bit of It's Complicated before. K'an ben. See you.

No comments:

Post a Comment