Malila

Malila

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Walking in Mali

After picking up my book package (thanks Darien Book Aid), that weighed over 20 lbs., a guy insisted I get on his moto for a ride. I refused and walked the five minutes to drop it off with my bus guys. "All right, I'll be back at five." After being with Americans 24/7 for the past week and a half I felt I was experiencing a mini-culture shock walking through the city alone, running errands and giving greetings. I even ran into a friend from my village that I play basketball with, he was like "Where have you been? I haven't seen you playing basketball."  I was excited to say, I am going back to my village today and will see him on the court tomorrow.
Walking back I saw a woman, with two kids on a moto, about to enter traffic. She dropped a coin under her moto. She didn't notice so I stopped her, picked it up and gave it to her. She thanked me and I contiued on my way home. A few minutes later the same woman pulls to the side of the road where I am walking and starts speaking to me in French. "Sorry, I don't understand French." She says thank you again and offers me a ride on her already semi-full moto, one kid is tied to her back and another about 5yrs old sits behind. I thank her for the offer and tell her my boss does not allow me to ride a moto, because I may get in an accident; if I did I would have to go back to America. She understands but asks if I live far away. "No, just down this road in the Medina Koura district." Well she said she would like to chat with me sometime.
I love my job.
Pay it forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment