Malila

Malila

Sunday, October 09, 2011

"We got shafted!"

Paying 1000 FCFA ($2) more than every other passenger on the bus and we did not even get a seat. I turn to Paula and say "we got shafted!" Though we both were getting over a case of the West African cold we still had a good time. Catching up on each others village life and activities, eating beef jerky from my most recent care package, and I had someone to listen to my complaining; concerning public transport, mostly about the lady in front of me that kept invading my space (her behind kept hitting my knees!).
my shirt has faded

It was hot, stuffy, smelly, and bumpy. After riding on an empty water container for 3 hours at the lunch stop we insisted on getting the seats from passengers that got off at that stop. Unfortunately my seat was at the very back of the bus and was much worse than siiting in the aisle. One, it was more hot with less of a draft could not believe that possible. Two, some kind of hot vent was near my feet I felt like my feet were going to catch fire. Three, there were chickens on the other side near my feet. After sitting for about 30 minutes to an hour while my feet slow roasted I decided to swap seats with a fellow in the aisle. Though not the best seat in the bus it sure beat my alternative.

1 comment: